Truly sweet and far superior to pulled pork — this natural product is way more than simple nutrition for veggie lovers. The London Evening Standard even dubs it “the new kimchi, kale and cauliflower” just all mixed together. What a wonderful health combination!
Here are 10 things that you probably didn’t know about this uncommon fruit:
1. Being one of world’s biggest tree fruits, the length of a jackfruit can grow to be as long as 36 inches while it can weigh up to 100 lbs.
2. The jackfruit has been used as a staple crop for centuries in its native countries, Southeast Asia and India.
3. It does stink and some say it bears the smell of rotten cheese, stinky feet, or old pet food.
4. Being modestly grown in Florida, although Florida’s climate is perfect for cultivation of the fruit.
5. Many people have compared the taste of a jackfruit to that of banana being mixed with a pineapple.
6. The jackfruit has calcium, potassium, iron, protein, and a cup can have as many as 95 calories.
7. The jackfruit can be used for making smoothies.
8. Jackfruit can be bought at the grocery store in three can preparations: brine, syrup, or water.
9. Jackfruit is not a difficult fruit to grow as has been regarded as a miracle crop.
10. The seeds of a jackfruit can be grounded and then used as flour.
There are a couple of dishes you can also try with the jackfruit.