Eating healthy is sometimes considered a chore, but there are ways to simplify your way to nutritional eating. Bloggers on the food network have many healthy and cost saving ideas at foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/ Here are some of our favorites to get you started:
- Cold soups versus warm: If you have a blender, you can whip up a chilled soup in no time. You can use such nutrients as fruits and vegetables that your family will love cold. Use fruit juices to thin your soups and add vegetables that your children usually don’t try.
- Trade dairy for bananas! You can blend bananas into the same consistency as your favorite ice cream with much less sugar and calories. You can also add cocoa powder or fruit to make different flavors.
- Healthy cappuchinos at home! You can make your refreshing frozen coffee drinks at half the cost and sugar. Choose almond or soy milk and add cinnamon or other healthy alternatives to sugar.
- Hummus versus mayo! Use hummus to replace eggs or mayonnaise in your salads. Hummus has many more nutrients and will make your salad smooth and delicious.
- Slow cooker to the rescue: Use your slow cooker to slowly prepare meats while you work. Make your own healthier version of bbq or tacos by using lean meats, healthy spices, and all natural flavors in your crock pot.
- Pasta in the microwave saves time. Just cover your fresh pasta with cold water and place in the microwave for about 6 minutes. You will discover soft, perfectly cooked pasta for warm or chilled salads and meals in no time.
- Iced coffee made at home. Just save your left over coffee in the fridge or pour it into an ice tray to have perfect iced coffee at home. You can use the ice cubes to flavor your day old coffee with no work or fuss.
Saving money and eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult. With just a few shortcuts and substitutions, you can have the entire family eating healthy.